Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Six Squared: Canvas #1 of 6

A few weeks ago I told you about a fundraising event called Six Squared in support of the Kingston Seniors Association. This week I started (and completed) my first 6x6 canvas! 

The Inspiration: Tape Painting with Metallic Paint  

So first off I painted my little canvas gold. I used a heavy body paint, so I didn't add water to it like I normally do to all my acrylics. I did two coats because I wanted it to be super shiny. 






Then I grabbed my drafting tape (fancy name for skinny masking tape) and taped a random geo-design. 



I decided to use a turquoise colour to paint the parts of the canvas not covered in tape. I mixed four shades of turquoise by mixing in a little white. Wanted to give it that ombre look all the kids are raving about. 









I did two coats of each blue and then let it dry for a few hours before pulling off the tape to see what I'd made. 



There were a few spots where the paint had bled through to the gold. 


So I took a little glob of the gold paint and a fine tip paint brush and fixed it up. 


See! Fixed! 



I really liked how this one turned out. I might make a bigger one for the house or as a gift for someone. 

Canvas #1: COMPLETE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment